Pleural Tap Procedure in Hyderabad
Determine the cause of pleural effusion.
Remove excess pleural fluid to assist respiration and provide symptomatic relief.
- History: SOB, cough and pain
- Reduced AE on affected sides
- Reduced vocal fremitus and resonance
- Stony dull to percussion
- Pleural rub only present in small effusions
- CXR: Not abnormal until >175ml fluid present, initially blunted CPA with fluid level meniscus
- USS: Estimates size and useful in thoracocentesis direction
- CT Chest: Estimate size, loculation and confirmation of additional pathology e.g. tumour or PTE
- Local skin infection
- Uncooperative patient
- Uncorrected bleeding diathesis (in particular platelets <50 and INR>2)
- Relative contraindication with bullous lung disease and small effusions